Ethiopian Airlines plane crash: Kenya football administrator among 32 Kenyans who perished
Muyela Roberto|March. 10, 2019
- Swaleh was headed to Nairobi after officiating a playoff between TP Mazembe and Ismailia
- Other victims who died in the plane crash come from 34 other countries
- Pilots at the helm of the plane made a distress call and requested to return at Bole Airport
- The aircraft, however, went out of radar and witnesses say they heard an explosion before it crashed
- The plane was still new, since it was added to the airline's fleet towards the end of 2018
Kenyan football administrator is among the 157 passengers who perished in the Sunday, March 10, Ethiopian Airlines plane crash.
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa confirmed the death of Swaleh in a tweet regretting that it had dealt a blow to the country's football family.
"Sad day for football. You were doing what you loved most. Fare thee well my chairman. Until we meet again," Mwendwa wrote.
As ealier reported, the Boeing 737 Max 8 was en route to Nairobi from Addis Ababa before it crashed six minutes after take off.
It had 149 passengers and eight crew on board and none of them survived.
Swaleh is among 32 Kenyans whose lives were cut short by the accident.
He served as Kenya Football Federation Secretary General during the reign of Maina Kariuki who was the federation's chairman.
According officials from Ethiopian Airlines, pilots of the plane sent a distress call and requested to return to the airport after encountering difficulties.
The plane, however, went out off radar.
Witnesses said they heard an explosion before they saw the plane tumbling from the sky.
Alia Bhatt shares picture from father Mahesh Bhatt’s birthday celebration as they steal a break from Sadak 2 shootHow the Celtic players rated during Europa League draw at RennesBut wildlife officials weighed in and determined the cat was not a mountain lionRams injury report | TE Tyler Higbee out Sunday vs. Cleveland BrownsZimbabwe Begins Rise From Ashes of Cyclone Idai