Triggers For Depression In Men And How To Resolve Them
Feb. 17, 2020
There’s no single cause of depression in men. Biological, psychological, and social factors all play a part, as do lifestyle choices, relationships, and coping skills.
Triggers of depression in men
While any man can suffer from depression, there are some risk factors that make a man more vulnerable, such as:
1. Loneliness and lack of social support
2. Inability to effectively deal with stress
3. A history of alcohol or drug abuse
4. Early childhood trauma or abuse
5. Ageing in isolation, with few social outlets
How to handle depression as a man
1. Seek social support: Work commitments can often make it difficult for men to find time to maintain friendships, but the first step to tackling male depression is to find people you can really connect with, face-to-face. Find someone you feel comfortable sharing your feelings with, someone who’ll listen to you without judging you, or telling you how you should think or feel.
2. Support your health: Positive lifestyle changes can help lift depression and keep it from coming back. Aim for eight hours of sleep. Get on a better sleep schedule by learning healthy sleep habits. Keep stress in check.
Figure out all the things in your life that stress you out, such as work overload, money problems, or unsupportive relationships, and find ways to relieve the pressure and regain control. Practice relaxation techniques. Try yoga, deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or meditation.
3. Exercise for greater mental and physical health: Exercise is a powerful depression fighter-and one of the most important tools in your recovery arsenal. Research shows that regular exercise can be as effective as medication for relieving depression symptoms. It also helps prevent relapse once you’re well.
Man United Put Heavy Price Tag On Smalling As Roma Push For A permanent DealUEFA CL: Liverpool vs Atletico Match Preview And PredictionReal Madrid Back In For De Gea, Offers £70mA sleep expert explains why you're having such vivid dreams during the coronavirus pandemicHEARTBREAKING: Sport Journalist Contracts Coronavirus While Covering Football Match