12 Hair Dyes Reviewers Swear By For At-Home Transformations
Oct. 29, 2020
The seasons change, and so must our hair.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
The past few months have been full of change... One of the changes we can actually take some control over is what our hair looks like from day to day. So, here are some of the best reviewed hair dyes people have used at home to transform their looks!
General note: if you have brown to black hair and are planning to go for a bold color like purple, blue, or pink, you will most likely have to bleach your hair beforehand so the pigments hold.
1. Il Salone Milano Dark Copper Hair is a permanent hair color cream that can transform you into a bonafide Miranda! This kit comes with moisturizing oils that'll not only heighten your hair's new color but also make sure that it's here to stay.
Promising review: "This hair coloring set is definitely true to color. It’s so vibrant and rich. The instructions were easy to follow and the box came with gloves. If you follow the instructions exactly, this hair color kit will cover every single white hair . It’s a deep copper red with beautiful blonde highlights. No considerable itching and no burning during the hair-coloring treatment. Definitely recommend! It’s so beyond beautiful, and for the price, it’s a great deal!! Absolutely in love with this hair dye, and I'm planning to get more!!" — Crystal
Get it from Amazon for $9.99 .
Find more Il Salone Milano colors on Amazon .
2. Garnier Mascarpone Creme lifts dark hair up to eight levels! Made with grapeseed and avocado oil, it's a truly nourishing cream dye. Yes, please! Whether you're enhancing your natural blonde locks, touching up your roots, or going for a whole new look, Garnier will help you show off just how bold you are.
Promising review: "My hair is naturally dark brown. In 2016 I decided to start having it bleached in the salon. By 2019, it became too expensive, so I tried this bleach kit for my 2 inches of dark roots. I noticed that this specific color (PL2) said it worked for dark brown hair. I wasn’t sure what to expect because I’ve heard so many stories of people bleaching at home. I wasn’t expecting to get platinum hair because I know that won’t happen from one application at home. But I was pleasantly surprised that it got my dark brown hair to a yellowish dark blonde that was able to be toned down with the toning conditioner that comes with this kit . It matched the dark blonde color that I had from bleaching in the salon. I’ve used it four times in the last nine months to bleach my roots and I’ve been very happy with it!! Also, it’s a very nice kit with easy directions to follow. I highly recommend this to anyone with natural brown or dark brown hair." — Amelie R
Get it from Amazon for $7.97 .
Find more Garnier colors on Amazon .
3. oVertone Pink for Brown Hair is an award-winning dye that's *actually* a color-depositing conditioner! Effective on all hair types, this 100% vegan and cruelty-free formula will make your bubblegum dreams a reality!
Promising reviews: "My hair loves this conditioner! Been using it since June and its color suits me well. My hair looks healthy, vibrant, and this also covers my grays really well, too!" — Jessica S
"This color is STUNNING! I'm mad at myself for not trying it sooner! It was instantly vibrant on my hair as soon as it was rinsed out; I didn't need to dry it to see the difference. The only negative thing (and it's not enough to take away any stars!!!!) is this is very pigmented, and it's the first oVertone dye for brown hair that I've used that did transfer some. I've not noticed it on my pillows, but one of my lighter towels has taken a beating. My solution: use my darker towels! I love this stuff!!" — Crystal C
Get it from oVertone for $29 .
Find more colors at oVertone .
4. Keracolor Teal Clenditioner cleanses, conditions, *and* colors! Offering an instant transformation, this semi-permanent vegan dye adds a boost of color after every single wash.
Promising review: "I got this cleansing conditioner after falling in love with my oVertone color-treated hair. I wanted to keep my colored hair without breaking the bank, and this was a cheaper alternative.
PROS: It works. About once every other week, I apply it to dry hair, let it sit in a shower cap for about an hour, then rinse and blow dry. In between the more intensive treatment, I apply it to dry hair, wait 10 minutes, rinse, and blow dry. I have light brown, untreated/undyed hair, and the teal turns it a pretty steely-blue color. Keep in mind this is a saturating mask, not a dye, so the results will start out more subtle and increase the more times you apply it. It's one of the more cost effective coloring conditioners on the market. It leaves my hair feeling clean and soft." — Ashley
Get it from Amazon for $22 (available in two sizes and 18 colors).
Find more Keracolor products on Amazon .
5. dpHUE Dark Brown Gloss+ boosts your natural hair color with a vibrant, vegan formula. A semi-permanent dye and deep conditioner all in one small bottle!
Promising reviews: "This stuff is amazing!!! After one use my hair looked and felt So refreshed! Definitely puts shine back in your hair!" — Dermstore Customer
"This was my first time trying this product, and I love it! It definitely enriches my hair and gives it some vibrancy. I mixed it with the clear gloss and my normal conditioner, covered with a shower cap and left it in for 20 minutes. Definitely recommend if you’re looking to freshen up your hair. "— Dermstore Customer
Get it from Dermstore for $35 .
Find more dpHUE colors and hair products at Dermstore .
6. Madison Reed Matera Marigold only takes 35 minutes to revive your copper roots. Got grays? They're no match for this incredibly nutrient-rich cream color. With hair so radiant, you might just convince yourself that you've gone to a salon.
Promising reviews: "This is my fave brand of dye to buy when need a root retouch or color change. No chemical smell afterwards, hair feels and looks soft, it comes with everything you need in the box including the stain protector and one to remove dye in skin. Color doesn't look flat and cover grey hairs completely" — Ulta Customer
"I used this to color my hair which was beautifully balayaged last year (and has had balayage done several times over the last few years) but had grown out and left brassy yellow strands. This color matched my roots beautifully and looks great , you can't tell at all that there was such a big difference in hair color before. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the color!" — Ulta Customer
Get it from Ulta for $13.25 (originally $26.50).
Find more Madison Reed colors and hair products at Ulta .
7. Good Dye Young Kowabunga infuses sunflower extract into its vegan and cruelty-free dye. Plus, it deep conditions your hair *as* it deposits color. Yeah, it's a multi-tasker. You'll look like a radioactive superhero rockstar when you're done!
Promising review: "Perfection. I waited three weeks to give my most honest and helpful review, and I love love love this green! There's almost zero fade; it’s still so vibrant and looks freshly dyed. There’s no dullness or anything! I was nervous about color bleeding and experienced zero bleed! Definitely going to keep using Kowabunga" — kalynnylak
Get it from Good Dye Young for $18 .
Find more colors at Good Dye Young .
8. Revlon Platinum for Light Brown Hair gently brightens your hair, so your blonde wishes are only a click away. No more fried, bleached hair when you use this keratin-enriched and jojoba seed oil-infused dye! Your newly hydrated and moisturized hair will thank you after you use the (included) conditioner.
Promising review: "I decided to do a dark purple color recently, and it looked awful. Like really awful. So I had to bite the bullet and bleach my hair. I used my regular bleach and it turned my hair orange. NOT a good look for me. Anyways, I waited a month and then tried this, and now all of the orange is gone and my hair isn't fried like I thought it would be. I am ordering another box now!" — Zollie
Get it from Amazon for $6.98 .
Find more Revlon colors at Amazon .
9. Manic Panic Voodoo Blue boldly goes where most semi-permanent dyes won't! It also contains aloe vera and citric acid to enliven your hair while you live it up as an acid lollipop dream!
Promising reviews: "Intense pigmentation! I love this color. Unlike some other brands I have tried, this color holds up well. ❤️" — WalmartCustomer
"Fantastic color, long lasting, vibrant, and consistent. I have been using Manic Panic since I was 14, and I have always been happy." — Kelley
Get it from Walmart for $11.95 .
Find more Manic Panic colors at Walmart .
10. Arctic Fox Violet Dream is a highly pigmented and long-lasting vegan dye. Its heavy magenta undertones will eventually ~fade~ into pink.
Promising review: "I have been coloring my own hair at home with direct dyes for about 10 years. I've used Splat, Special Effects, Directions, and Manic Panic. I've done almost every color under the sun. Pink, purple, every shade of blue, dark green, neon colors. My biggest problem is that these all rub off and bleed onto everything. They get onto pillows, clothing, my very pale skin and boyfriend. Arctic Fox is the only dye I've ever used that doesn't bleed. It also barely rinses out in the shower, and I tend to over-wash my hair. It's a very pigmented and beautiful color. Probably my favorite purple I've ever had in my hair." — Maddy C
Get it from Amazon for $18.95 .
Find more Arctic Fox colors at Amazon .
11. NaturColor Light Burdock works well on gray hair. This haircolor gel is safe to use on color-treated and permed hair *and* consists of plant extracts to make sure your hair stays healthy and its color doesn't fade.
Promising reviews: "I have used for years and everyone comments on how great this color looks on me. Very gentle to my sensitive scalp. Love the small packet of conditioner that is included which lessens the after-color smell." — Mary J. Matlock
"So easy to use, no harsh chemicals. My hair is completely grey, and this covered my roots perfectly. I put a disposable shower cap on for the full amount of time, so maybe that helped (I didn't prime my grey hair first as directed...there was just too much of it!). My hair looks so much healthier. The best!" — pamela caeley morrison
Get it from Amazon for $16.95 .
Find more NaturColor dyes at Amazon .
12. got2b smoky violet tackles tame hair with its metallic shine booster formula. You'll get a perfect purple *and* a radiant shimmer. This permanent dye was made for anyone who dares to be anything but boring!
Promising reviews: "Wow! You will get compliments with this. It doesn’t look very purple in the house, but when you go out, it’s time to rock!" — Elizabeth S
"This is a beautiful, rich color that lasts! Make sure to buy two boxes for long hair!" — Amy Wood
Get it from Amazon for $9.97 .
Find more got2b colors on Amazon .
You when someone asks if you're gonna stop dyeing your hair:
Looking for more great Amazon finds? Check out some of our favorite cheap things to buy on Amazon, some of the weirdest things on Amazon you might actually want, or read through all the rest of our incredible Amazon product recommendations.
Share This Article
What's your favorite product?
Find great products and the best-money saving deals around, delivered right to your inbox.
Hardcore fan gets haircut with Davido’s face on his head » More NaijaHave You Been Avoiding Fried Eggs? Do That No More And Enjoy These Heath BenefitsTry This Recipe! You'd Enjoy The SweetnessHow Does Marijuana And Weed Affect Your S3X Life ?Checkout Beyonce, Nicki Minaj And Cardi B Rocking Ankara Outfits