Log inLog Out
For YouNewsEntertainmentRelationshipLifestyleSportTechnology
VAR drama as Michael Oliver overturns injury-time Aston Villa penalty to secure Brighton victory, despite initially giving spot-kick


Nov. 21, 2020

Brighton beat Aston Villa by virtue of some bizarre late VAR drama at Villa Park on Saturday.
The Seagulls led 2-1 and looked to have conceded a penalty in injury time, only for referee Michael Oliver to end up overruling his original decision.
The match began with Villa suffering an early set back as Ross Barkley went off with what looked like a hamstring injury after only five minutes.
Things got worse for the hosts when they fell behind shortly afterwards.
The goal was against the run of play after 12 minutes as Danny Welbeck was played in by Adam Lallana and rounded off a strong run with a lovely lofted finish.
Villa responded well to falling behind but they were unable to make a breakthrough before half time. Welbeck’s goal separated the sides at the break as Brighton lead 1-0 at Villa Park.
TalkSPORT's Ray Parlour praises Pep Guardiola's transfer policy in recent times and says Jack Grealish could be the perfect solution for an ageing midfield at Manchester City
The hosts equalised right at the start of the second period.
Traore put a brilliant ball into the box from a free-kick and Ezri Konsa, timing his run to perfection, slid in to turn it home with an outstretched foot.
Brighton were soon back in front, though.
Pascal Gross switched play to the left flank, picking out March with a raking pass. March then curled a fine shot beyond Martinez and into the far corner of the net.
Brighton were comfortably protecting their lead, but it all threatened to go wrong in the closing stages.
Tariq Lamptey was sent off in injury time for two bookable challenges on John McGinn and then Jack Grealish.
Lamptey had not even taken his seat on the bench before Villa were then awarded a penalty after March was adjudged to have brought down Trezeguet.
However, referee Michael Oliver reversed his decision after consulting VAR and viewing it again on the monitor.
BT co-commentator Martin Keown was baffled and reacted by saying: “It has to be a penalty.
“That’s unbelievable, I’m dumbfounded by that. He gets the ball, but the follow through takes out his opponent.
“Anywhere else on the pitch and that’s a free kick surely.”
The game finished 2-1 to Brighton.
Sign in to post a message
You're the first to comment.
Say something
Log in