Log inLog Out
Presidential poll: Wike's aide indicts military, APC on violence in fresh allegation
Onyirioha Nnamdi|March. 28, 2019
- There are fresh claims that officers of the Nigerian Army were involved in violence during the presidential election which took place on Saturday, February 23
- Otonye Briggs, an aide to Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers, has alleged that a clash between soldiers and some thugs claimed the lives of over 35 persons during the general polls
- Briggs said that the clash between soldiers and the thugs took place in Abonnema, Akuku Toru local government area of the state
Otonye Briggs, the special adviser to Governor Nyesom Wike on infrastructure,has revealed a clash between officers of the Nigerian Army and some thugs in Rivers caused the death of more than 35 persons on the day of the presidential election, Saturday, February 23.
Briggs said that the clash between soldiers and the thugs took place in Abonnema, Akuku Toru local government area of the state, Vanguard reports.
In a statement briggs alleged that soldiers “with a known criminal collaborator killed more than 35 indigenes and strangers living in the community.
“Abonnema was in such mourning that the people and chiefs had to hold a memorial service which took place on March 6, at the Nyemoni Lutheran Church, Abonnema.
“It is sad that the Amayanabo of Abonnema and the Council of Chiefs were compelled to summon All Progressives Congress, APC, and Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, politicians on March 7 to a peace pact against repeat of February 23 mayhem, and only PDP attended and signed the peace pact.
“APC bluntly refused, maybe because they were planning more evil.” With reference to his pain in military and police custody, Briggs said: “I was moved to 130 Battalion, Harry’s Town, Degema LGA, before being whisked to the 6 Division Nigeria Army, Port Harcourt.
“I was detained till the following day, deprived of voting and duty as collation/returning agent of PDP for the governorship.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
“The following day, being March 10, the military moved me to the 6 Division, Bori Camp, detained me in their dungeon till March 19, when I was bundled to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, Port Harcourt, without justification."
The Army made this known when a fact-finding team, led by Major General Taritimiye Gagariga, paid a visit to the Amanyanabo of the town, HRM King Disrael Bob-Manuel.
Sign in to post a message
You're the first to comment.
Say something
Log in