NEWS DIGEST | GTBank Opens Up On Innoson Motors Takeover| Ronaldo To Miss Champions League Quarter-final First Leg
March. 30, 2019
GTBank Opens Up On Innoson Motors Takeover
1. On Friday, March 29, the Innoson Nigeria Limited announced that it had obtained a writ of Fifa from the Federal High Court in Awka, Anambra State to takeover GTBank.
Cornel Osigwe, the Head of Corporate Communication of Innoson, made the announcement, saying: "We have taken over GTBank in Awka and Nnewi," adding that "other branches are coming soon".
However, the bank, in a statement late Friday assured its customers of the safety of their funds, clarifying that the said judgement is applicable to the account of the Nigerian Customs Service Board domiciled with the bank, rather than the bank as an entity.
Lagos Police Arrest Teacher For Coercing SS1 Student To Give Oral Sex
2. The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a teacher of Fazir-I-Omar Senior High School in Iwaya, Yaba area of the state for allegedly forcing a 17-year-old pupil, Mary (not real name), to perform oral sex on him for marks.
The Mathematics teacher allegedly pressurised Mary to give him oral sex twice and further demanded sex in exchange for marks.
The Abia State indigene who is now in SS2 ,resides in the Makoko area of Lagos. She told newsmen that she was first forced to give her teacher oral sex at the age of 16 when she was in Senior Secondary School 1.
The DSP of the Lagos State Police Command, Bala Elkana, confirmed the teacher identified as Akintunde Ajayi, 39, has been arrested.
"We have the said teacher in custody and we are making efforts to find out whether there are other victims in the school apart from the girl that raised the alarm,” he said.
Osinbajo Bags Life Bencher Award
3. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo was on Friday presented with Life Benchers Award.
Osinbajo and 131 others were presented with the award at the Body of Benchers of Nigeria Award night held at the National Judicial Institute, Abuja.
The Body of Benchers is a statutory body established by the Legal Practitioners Act, I962 responsible for Call to the Bar of persons seeking to be legal practitioners as well as discipline of erring lawyers
A Life Bencher serves in the body for life and is a legal practitioner of the highest distinction.
One Month After Elections, Supreme Court Declares Donald Duke SDP Presidential Candidate
4. Over one month after the presidential elections, the Supreme Court has declared Donald Duke, former Governor of Cross River State, as the presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP).
At the October 6, 2018 primary of the SDP, Duke had polled 812 votes to defeat Professor Jerry Gana who polled 611. However, Gana went to court to seek Duke’s disqualification, a request that was granted by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja in December.
CONTINUE READING:One Month After Elections, Supreme Court Declares Donald Duke SDP Presidential Candidate
Zimbabwe Army Truck Accidentally Kills Two Cyclone Survivors Waiting For Relief Aid
5. Two survivors of Cyclone Idai died and 11 were hurt when the brakes failed on an army truck delivering food aid in eastern Zimbabwe and it ploughed into a waiting crowd, an official said on Friday.
Defence forces provincial spokesman Major Exavier Chibasa told AFP the accident happened at Skyline in the district of cyclone-ravaged Chimanimani on Thursday where victims of the cyclone were gathering to receive aid.
The army is helping with the transporting and handing out food and other relief aid donated to victims of Cyclone Idai.
The storm affected at least 270,000 and claimed 185 lives in landlocked Zimbabwe while more than 200 are missing.
In neighbouring Mozambique at least 493 people died and 1.85 million were affected.
Ronaldo ‘Risks Missing’ Champions League Quarter-final First Leg
6. Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri confirmed on Friday Cristiano Ronaldo is an injury doubt for the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Ajax on April 10.
Ronaldo, a five-time European Cup winner, left the field with a thigh problem captaining Portugal in Monday’s draw against Serbia.
“He’s already started to move but he won’t return to training until he feels fit. There is a risk he’ll miss the first leg against Ajax,” Allegri said.
“We have to be careful because we’re in a tricky period of the season. It’s better he misses one match and comes back when he’s 100 per cent so there’s no risk of a repeat injury. It’s better to miss one match than two months,” Allegri added.
‘My Son Asked Me Why They Want To Kill Me!’ – Messi
7. Barcelona captain Lionel Messi claims his son, Thiago, asked him why fans want to “kill” him in Argentina after his latest setback on the international stage.
The 31-year-old returned to the La Albiceleste squad for last week’s friendly matches against Venezuela and Morroco, but he was forced to return to the Camp Nou early after sustaining an injury.
Messi played the full 90 minutes of Argentina’s 3 - 1 defeat at home to Venezuela last Friday, but a groin issue meant he had to sit out Tuesday’s 1 - 0 win over Morocco.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has often been made a scapegoat in his homeland for the national team’s recent failures, which is one of the reasons he took a break after the 2018 World Cup.
CONTINUE READING:‘My Son Asked Me Why They Want To Kill Me!’ – Messi
MICHAEL JACKSON: Dstv To Air Controversial ‘Leaving Neverland’
8. DStv is set to air ‘Leaving Neverland,' the much-debated two-part documentary which focuses on the controversial revelations about late music icon, Michael Jackson.
Few weeks after its controversial premiere in the US at the recent Sundance Film Festival, ‘Leaving Neverland’ will be screened across two days on M-Net City, DStv channel 115 this weekend.
Part one will be aired on M-Net City on Saturday, 30 March at 8:40pm WAT, while part 2 will follow on Sunday, 31 March at 8:40pm WAT.
To accommodate these screenings, M-Net City will reschedule The Blacklist S5 on Saturday and Stan Lee’s Lucky Man S3 on Sunday.
FBI, US Justice Department To Review Jussie Smollett Case
9. The United States President, Donald Trump has said the FBI with the Justice Department would be reviewing Jussie Smollett's case after state prosecutors decided to drop charges against the actor for lying to police about an alleged attack.
“It is an embarrassment to our Nation!” Trump tweeted.
It’s unclear how or if the FBI and Justice Department will get involved. Federal investigators were already on part of the case, looking into a threatening letter Smollett allegedly mailed to himself.
Nigeria Needs A Revolution, Omotola Jalade Says
10. Nollywood superstar, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, has denounced the level of insecurity in the country and called for a state of emergency in troubled zones.
She also said she believes Nigeria needs some kind of ‘revolution’ to get better.
The 41-year-old actress said this while fielding questions from her fans in a tweet chat, #Osexyfriday, on Friday.
“I am appealing to the government to immediately see to the rising rate of depression, suicide, police brutality, ritual killings and general lack of safety in the Country. It’s at an all-time high now, there should be a state of emergency declared,” Omotola said while tackling some pertinent questions.