Tigers-Cats AFL preliminary final snapshot
Sept. 20, 2019
SNAPSHOT OF THE RICHMOND-GEELONG AFL PRELIMINARY FINAL
* Result: Richmond 12.13 (85) defeated Geelong 9.12 (66) in front of 94,423 at the MCG.
* Key moment: Jack Riewoldt had one handball to halftime and didn't kick a goal all night, but he supplied the goal assist of the season in a pivotal third quarter. Rather than attempt a mark against two opponents, Riewoldt read the situation brilliantly and deftly tapped the ball to Dustin Martin who stormed into an open goal.
* Key stats: Tom Lynch starred up forward for Richmond with five goals, while Bachar Houli was superb across half-back with 32 possessions and 11 marks. Dion Prestia (28 touches and two goals) and Dustin Martin (22 and two goals) were the prime movers in the middle. In what looms as his last game for the Cats, Tim Kelly was outstanding with 31 possessions and three goals, with Joel Selwood (30) and Patrick Dangerfield (27 touches and a goal) also influential.
* Injuries: Richmond might pay a heavy price for the win. Jack Graham battled on bravely after his right shoulder was dislocated in the first quarter, Trent Cotchin did the same after a clash of legs with Joel Selwood in the second term and Nathan Broad got a hip and a knee to the head in the third quarter that knocked him out of the game. Geelong appeared to escape without injury.
* What's next? The Tigers can sit back and watch the Collingwood-GWS preliminary final to see who they will play in the grand final. Richmond have plenty of injury concerns, but their reserves can press their claims in the VFL grand final.
Buhari’s ministers acting like they own ministries – APC groupPANDEMONIUM: Boko Haram Terrorists Burn Down 90 Houses, Church, Shops In BornoYou used your hands, mouth to kill your career – Cynthia Morgan’s former manager tells artistCOP26: UK proposes new date for delayed climate change summitDapo Abiodun is disciplined – Buhari