Meghan’s sombre appearance with Prince Harry
Nov. 07, 2019
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have honoured Britain’s war heroes at Westminster Abbey’s Field of Remembrance.
The Duchess of Sussex appeared sombre as she placed poppies and crosses alongside her husband as a bugler sounded the Last Post on Thursday, reports The Sun .
Meghan, 38, and Harry, 35, viewed the plots of tiny crosses erected by regiments, military units and other organisations associated with the First World War and other conflicts.
During the poignant ceremony, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, surrounded by elderly soldiers, recent veterans and others associated with the armed forces, stood still as the Last Post was played by a bugler.
The Duchess of Cornwall, 72, had been expected to join Meghan and Prince Harry at Westminster Abbey, but was told by her doctor to cancel.
A Clarence House spokesman said: “The Duchess of Cornwall has been told by her doctor to cancel her engagements owing to a chest infection which has got progressively worse over the last few days.
“She will therefore not be at today’s event with Harry and Meghan.”
It is understood she was “deeply disappointed” not to be able to attend today’s event – but was determined to be well enough for the weekend’s Remembrance engagements.
Camilla, patron of the Poppy Factory, also missed an event last night in London due to the infection.
Meghan and Harry chatted to everyone from D-Day veterans to those who served in more recent conflicts and shared a hug with Poppie Hutton, aged eight, from Armagh, Northern Ireland, who was with her grandparents at the plot for the Royal Irish Regiment.
Andrea McMahon, the military unit’s assistant regimental secretary, said: “We asked Meghan about motherhood and she said her son Archie was six months old and said the experience was wonderful and she was really enjoying it, and having a great time.
“Poppie was hoping to get cuddles from them and we knew how much Harry loves children and when we explained that she wanted a hug they both came over and did it.”
Harry also chatted to his great-grandmother’s former driver Arthur Barty, who was representing a plot for his former unit The Black Watch.
Mr Barty, who had driven the Queen Mother for 27 years until her death in 2002, said: “I covered almost 100,000 miles with the Queen Mother.
“I never thought for a minute I would meet His Royal Highness or Her Royal Highness but it was an absolute pleasure to chat to them.”
From just two crosses, laid during the first event at the Abbey in November 1928, the Field of Remembrance is now covered with around 70,000 symbols in more than 360 plots for regimental and other associations.
The Exhortation to Remembrance was spoken by Surgeon Rear Admiral Lionel Jarvis, president of the Poppy Factory, who said: “They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
“At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.”
As the chimes of Big Ben rang out at 11am, a two-minute silence was observed by all those present.
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
It is one of the first engagements for the Royal Family ahead of Remembrance Day on November 11.
Meghan, 38, and Harry, 35, will this weekend join Prince William and Kate Middleton to attend the annual Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.
And on Sunday, the family is expected to attend the annual service and wreath laying at the Cenotaph.
The weekend’s events will be the first time the Sussex and Cambridges will publicly attend an event together since this year’s Trooping the Colour.
It comes after the Queen yesterday helped to pitch in as she visited the Royal British Legion Industries ahead of Remembrance Day.
Meanwhile, Kate Middleton and Prince William headed to St-Martin-in-the-Fields to meet with survivors of the Grenfell fire tragedy and Westminster Bridge terror attack.
Boko Haram: Terrorists raise down 90 houses, Church, shops in BornoCoronavirus: Fears over future of respite centre Leuchie HouseOndo: PDP speaks on automatic ticket for Akeredolu’s deputy, AgboolaN-Power: Buhari govt yet to pay us – Beneficiaries reply Minister, Sadiya FarouqCOVID-19: Lagos govt predicts what will happen between September to November