Log inLog Out
Local NewsEntertainmentRelationshipLifestyleTechnology
COVID-19: FG reacts to recording alleging Nigeria plans to buy used protective gear

Strika

March. 24, 2020

- The federal government has reacted to claims that it plans to purchase used protective gear from China
- Lai Mohammed refuted the news report which went viral in an audio-recorded message on social media
- The minister urged all Nigerians to disregard the viral audio message while describing it as inaccurate and irresponsible
The Nigerian government has finally reacted to the audio recording being circulated on social media, that Nigeria was looking to buy used protective gear from China.
Lai Mohammed, the minister of information and culture, at a news conference in Abuja , described the news report as fake. He also refuted the claim that Nigeria was waiting for money from the World Health Organisation (WHO), before taking drastic measures against the deadly virus.
The minister in reaction to the reports also said the claims that Nigeria had no money to tackle the disease because its foreign reserves had been exhausted and funds stolen were very inaccurate.
He went on to add that allegations that the figures of coronavirus cases were understated are also incorrect. Mohammed described the fake report as an irresponsible job orchestrated by a charlatan aimed at misinforming Nigerians in order to create panic.
The information minister further said the news being circulated on social media that each Nigerian would be paid N8,500 by the government to stay at home for one month starting from March 30, was also fake.
He described it as a farce and enjoined all Nigerians to shun such charlatans and disregard the audio. He urged the people to follow directives from relevant authorities.
Kyari who returned from Germany on March 14, did not self isolate as NCDC directed and attended a meeting on Saturday, March 21, in Aso rock on containing the virus where he began to cough repeatedly and thereafter surrendered himself for testing. He has now gone into self-isolation for treatment.
This was disclosed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in a tweet on Monday, March 23. The deceased man reportedly has underlying medical conditions.
Specifically, he was suffering from multiple myeloma & diabetes. He was also undergoing chemotherapy.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) upgrades to Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers
Coronavirus: 5 ways Nigeria is handling COVID-19 | Legit TV
0
Comments
Sign in to post a message
You're the first to comment.
Say something
Recommend
Log in