Setien suing Barcelona for breach of contract as ex-boss claims club STILL haven’t called him to tell him he is sacked
Dec. 01, 2020
QUIQUE SETIEN is suing Barcelona for breach of contract, according to reports in Spain.
The Spaniard was sacked by the LaLiga giants in August after the club's 8-2 Champions League humiliation at the hands of Bayern Munich.
Setien was swiftly replaced by former Southampton manager Ronald Koeman .
But now Setien is suing Barcelona for failing to compensate him for his sacking, according to Spanish outlet Marca .
Setien even revealed Barcelona had still not officially told him he has been sacked, over three months later.
The Spaniard told COPE: "Barca has not compensated me, nor has it offered me anything.
"They have not even called me to tell me that I am sacked."
Setien's coaching team - Eder Sarabia, Fran Soto and Jon Pascua - all reached payout agreements with Barcelona.
The trio had been on the club's books until November - with Barcelona attempting to utilise their skills in another role.
But after they failed to find new positions for them, they reached termination agreements with all three.
Barcelona have endured a rocky year financially after being hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.
The club was recently hit with a wage cap of £342million , having previously been allowed to spend up to £601.5m - a drop of 43 per cent.
They were also forced to save £170m in wages - but were locked in a stand-off with all but four of their players.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Gerard Pique, Frenkie De Jong and Clement Lenglet all signed new deals last month - agreeing to temporary pay reductions as part of the contract.
After months of negotiations, the rest of the Barcelona squad - as well as Koeman and his team - agreed to slash their salaries .
The pay-cuts allowed Barcelona to save a whopping £110m.
On top of that monster saving, the club confirmed they have deferred an additional £45m in variable payments over a three-year period.